Everyone has a story worth telling. I love using video and photography to bring those meaningful stories to life for others to experience. Crafting compelling video and photographic stories allows me to build connection, share the values of organizations and individuals, and build community.
As a visual storyteller, I am able to introduce all kinds of people to someone else’s lived experiences and create a meaningful connection. I love knowing that my work has helped to make an impact in the world around me. I want to use my talents as a way to leave the world better than I found it.
My work has given me the opportunity to add value in a number of different areas:
- As a Communications Specialist at the State Employees Association of North Carolina (SEANC), I produced videos and photos that aided in passing the North Carolina state budget, making North Carolina the first state to pay $15 an hour minimum wage to state employees.
- At the Daily Reflector, a daily newspaper in Greenville, North Carolina, I created videos for multiple projects that won awards at the North Carolina Press Association, including First Place for Best Video for Fighting Domestic Violence: Pitt County's Christy Adams, an advocate against domestic violence, talks about the death of her son Jesse and the abuse she and Jesse faced from the boy's father.
- My video “Mountain Style” won multiple awards including the Award of Excellence for 2013 College Photographer of the Year (CPOY) Group Multimedia Project, first place for the Our State Magazine Documentary Film Contest, and first place in the Brand North Carolina Project where it was selected out of 250+ entries in the “What N.C. Stands For” contest to capture the state’s brand in creative expression.
I’ve recently relocated to the East Bay and am looking for new opportunities to contribute in an agency or individual capacity to collaborate on visual and photographic storytelling and learn from colleagues and team members.
2015 North Carolina Press Association Awards, Raleigh, NC — Feb 2016
- Multimedia project – First place (staff) for Humans of Greenville. Created daily social media posts of photos taken by staff photographers to create photographic census of Greenville, NC.
- Multimedia project – Third place (staff) for The GREAT Bus project. Told stories of bus riders in Greenville, NC through articles and video.
2014 North Carolina Press Association Awards, Raleigh, NC — Feb 2015
- Best video – First place (individual) for Fighting Domestic Violence. Created video of Pitt County's Christy Adams, an advocate against domestic violence, talks about the death of her son Jesse and the abuse she and Jesse faced from the boy's father. She hopes working with other families trying to escape violence and sharing Jesse's story can prevent similar incidents.
- Multimedia project – First place (staff) for History Makers. Created four profiles of influential African Americans in Greenville, NC; presented as article and video published each week during February.
- Multimedia project – Second place (staff) for coverage of ECU-UNC football game in Greenville, NC.
- Online breaking news – Second place (staff) for coverage of snowstorm in Greenville, NC.
Brand North Carolina Project—Creative Competition, Raleigh, NC — Apr 2014
- Video – First place, creative competition, for “Mountain Style” video selected from 250+ pictures, videos, poems, songs, and other entries in “What N.C. Stands For” contest to capture state’s brand in creative expression.
2014 Webby Award Nomination — Apr 2014
- Video – Nomination of Heart of the High Country for Online Film and Video - Travel and Adventure category.
Student Interactive SXSW for Heart of the High Country — Mar 2014
CPOY Large Group Multimedia Project; Award of Excellence — Dec 2013
Our State Magazine Documentary Film Contest — Nov 2013
- Documentary – “Mountain Style” selected as winner of Our State's documentary film contest and was screened at the 2013 Carrboro Film Festival.
Why Should I Care? - Crafting Video Stories that Move People
- Taught by Elena Rue and Catherine Orr of StoryMinemedia
- Discussed the elements of effective and compelling storytelling
- Examined concepts that elevate videos from one-dimensional profiles to engaging stories
Carolina Photojournalism Workshop
- Spent a week in Banner Elk, North Carolina shooting, editing and screening a documentary video using a DSLR and Final Cut Pro